Thursday, July 19, 2012

33 Hours of Traveling

Well after 33 hours of traveling, going through immigration, getting my luggage, passing through customs and an 1 1/2 bus ride I finally am in my hotel room in Jakarta. The hotel is nice and clean!

Driving into Jakarta was an experience all in its own. The traffic is crazy...people don't stay in their lanes and it seems merging is the the most important skill needed to drive in this city - oh and a knack for having an aggressive streak. Haha!

Jakarta is huge....massive and looks....well looks like a huge massive city. As we were driving in there were beautiful mosques everywhere - I loved looking at their designs and architecture. Also, you have people living in slums next to people living in nice homes. One of my fellow travelers couldn't help but compare Jakarta to places in India.

We have seen signs for Starbucks, McDonalds (they were advertising spaghetti), and probably the most random sign we saw was one for Sizzler. The majority of their billboards are in English or in part English.

I want nothing more than to wash my face, change out of my clothes (been wearing them for close to three days), and collapse into bed. But...I will get to do that in a couple of hours after we eat dinner - which is going to be an interesting experience all by itself!

xxooxo

This pic is of the view outside my window!

2 comments:

  1. You're on the same side of the hotel as I am :-)

    I am enjoying sitting at my desk looking out at all of the traffic and lights as the sun fades away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Exciting! Glad you arrived safely and are finished with that travel ordeal for the moment (does it trump a night train to Paris?). Very excited for you to meet students and teachers and have the experience of a lifetime.

    XO, Jenn

    ReplyDelete