Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Mayor and a Governor...Oh My!!!

On the first day that Cora and I arrived in Sekayu Yuliansyah the Deputy Secratary of Sekayu invited Cora and I to dinner at the mayor's house for their breaking the fast dinner. Of course Cora and I were flattered and very excited to accept.

Cora and I got as dressed up as we could with scarves in tow out of respect for Indonesian culture and headed to the mayor's house. It is a very large house on a compound. There were lots of people invited to the dinner and the parking lot was full. We assumed we would be sitting outside of the house with the majority of the guests; however, when we arrived we were told to go inside the house. To our great surprise we were actually seated at one of four tables in the entire room. We were not only greeted by Yuliansyah, but the Mayor of Musi Banyuasin Pahri Azhari AND the governor of South Sumatra Alex Noerdin.

When it was time to break the fast we first drank water and then had several traditional sweet foods that we ate. They believe it is important to break the fast with sweet things. I was brave...I ate one, took a bite of the other, and left the jalapeƱo alone. Then everyone left to wash for evening prayers. In Indonesia the women pray entirely in white. They put on a white top, skirt, and veil over what they are wearing. It is very beautiful. When everyone came back from praying we really didn't know what was happening. A couple of officials' wives came and got us and took us to the buffet line. In fact they had us cut in line...those of you who know me know how awkward I would feel about that! However, they were trying to show respect for our attendance and we were grateful.

Indonesian food it very different from American food. They eat rice with every meal, which I quite like, but many of the dishes are extremely spicy. It has been hard to eat everything and I have tried to be careful about my food choices to minimize any stomach disasters I might experience.

After we were finished eating dinner we were asked if we would like a picture with the mayor and governor. We were delighted and had taken two small gifts to give them. After the gift exchange we had our pictures taken and then left because the officials had another event to attend. It was a magical evening...one that has greatly impacted my understanding and amazement of this beautiful religion and culture. I am constantly amazed at the kindness and generosity that I have been shown in this country. There is so much to learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment