Monday, July 30, 2012

Final Thoughts

So I have always said that traveling grounds me. It affords me an opportunity to step out of my everyday routine and to evaluate where I am at in life and where I want to be going. I always come home with a bigger picture of the world and my place in it. This experience has proven to do the same thing...perhaps to a greater extent because it has been such a unique experience in such a distant and foreign place. Here is what I have learned (or remembered):

1. The value of perspective and one on one exchanges. As a teacher I have devoted much of my career to helping my students understand perspective and to develop the skill of empathy. As I have interacted with these amazingly gracious and giving people in Indonesia I am reminded that peace and understanding truly happens one smile at a time...one conversation....one handshake....and that there is no room for negative stereotypes or broad inaccurate generalizations in my life.

2. That I can do hard things! This trip has been amazing and I have learned so much and feel more balanced as an individual...more full with experience and knowledge; however, it has stretched me and has been hard. But, I am stronger than I sometimes give myself credit. I can do 90 + degrees with 90 + humidity...every single day for two weeks. I can go to the bathroom using a squatter toilet. I can go most of the day without eating out of respect for Those fasting around me. I can sleep in a moldy room that doesn't have clean anything... Hahah! These are details that don't seem to matter anymore when you are growing and learning as a person.

3. Faith and prayer matter. I have been in awe to watch much of a whole society...an entire country basically fast from sun up to sundown in this heat. No food or water.... I couldn't do it! I had to drink water and I had to have a cliff bar for lunch. I was amazed at students who had to get up around 4:00 am to attend morning prayers and to eat before sun up and who were still eager to learn and full of smiles as we taught them. I loved hearing the call to prayer ring out through the cities and even in the malls. A reminder to me each time that I too am called to pray and that I too value it, believe in it, and need it in my life. What kept them going all day in this heat while fasting? What keeps them praying five times a day? Simply answered? Faith and prayer matter!

4. Education matters. Education changes lives, changes societies...countries....the world! It is power and understanding and growth and experience. Learn all that you can! Soak it up! Never take it for granted.

5. Okay, so you all know that I love One Tree Hill, right?One of my favorite episodes is the season opener for season five. Peyton calls Brooke and asks her if she is happy and Brooke replies that she is sometimes. Peyton asks her what will make her happy and Brooke says "love"... And then she realizes she will find that if she goes home. Sometimes what we are looking for is already waiting for you at home. Sometimes we get caught up in all the expectations and pressures of life and you forget that you have it all. This trip has reminded me that I am amazingly blessed and lived a charmed life and that I am loved! I do have it all...it's time to go home.....

3 comments:

  1. I love this... And of course the oth ref about my favorite episode...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely final thoughts, Jodi. But you can continue your blog at home; I feel that I might need to do some more processing. For sure, it's been an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete