Thursday, July 19, 2012

What is Happiness



While I travel through this sensory loaded country I am supposed to view my experiences and interactions through a lense of my choosing. I have decided on happiness. What does happiness mean to Indonesians? What do they do or what choices do they make, which help satisfy their idea of happiness? While looking through this lense I will pay close attention to the role that religion, education, family, and gender factors into this question.

I would challenge each of you to think about what makes you happy and the vehicles you choose in your life to achieve happiness. If you feel so inclined comment on my blog or send me a Facebook message. I would love to tell them my students, friends, and family's perspectives on this issue.

xxooxo

An Indonesian toilet....

5 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm back in Comparative World Religions when I try to answer this question! haha but I feel like happiness for me is just whatever I can find around me to make me laugh. It usually isn't that hard for me to find something! The harder I laugh the happier I am. However, after going to Europe and my trip to Washington last summer, I've come to realize a new kind of happiness. Actually it's more of a contenment, really, where your full, your rested, and your surrounding by amazing people, and you can't believe how memorable and peaceful a moment is. There's nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the book I mentioned to you: "The Geography of Bliss" by Eric Weiner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiness is...a lovely bed and breakfast with a view of the harbor of St. Ives with lovely friends and a charming host and a delicious English breakfast. So, for me, happiness is: traveling and having new experiences, but especially with friends and family. Ultimately, happiness for me is having a firm sense of who I am and where I came from.

    XO, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Burton stole my post! I was going to tell you to read Geography of Bliss. I loved that book (and you know that means a lot coming from me). I don't think he talks about Indonesia specifically, but he uses happiness as a lens for lots of travels. You should read it.

    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tie..... happiness and the throne

    ReplyDelete